A2 Art Center's "Favorites’ Favorites" kicks off Jan. 19 with a party
The Ann Arbor Art Center exhibition Favorites’ Favorites opens Friday, Jan. 19, kicking off with a free opening night party from 6-9 pm. The artists will be in attendance, and you can ask them why they chose their individual pieces in the show.
That's right, though there was a curator who chose which artists would exhibit, it was the creators who picked what would be displayed in Favorite Favorites.
Organizer Seder Burns -- a Michigan-based artist and professor -- let the artists self-select their favorite works, which include everything from photography and painting to mixed media and drawings: "Artists are often asked to make work to fit a theme. Or to try to fit an existing piece into a themed show. Consequently, an artist may have a favorite piece they have never had the opportunity to exhibit because they haven't found a show that was a good fit for their piece. The artists in this exhibit share one or more pieces that are their personal favorites."
Favorites’ Favorites runs through Feb. 10 and includes works by:
• Heather Accurso (Ann Arbor, MI)
• Zhiwan Cheung (Pittsburgh, PA)
• Deb Davis (Toledo, OH)
• Brent Dedas (Bowling Green, KY)
• Colin Goldberg (New York, NY)
• Dan Hernandez (Toledo, OH)
• Melissa Kaseman (San Francisco, CA)
• Joe Levickas (Ann Arbor, MI)
• Mark Lyon (Hudson Valley, NY)
• Brian Spolans (Ypsilanti, MI)
• Mike Tarr (Menomonie, WI).